The son of a commercial fisherman and school lunch aide, Jason Morgan was raised in Pinconning, Michigan. By working part-time and thanks to scholarships, Jason worked his way through college, earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from Northern Michigan University. He later attended the University of Michigan and attained a Master of Public Administration degree from Ford School of Public Policy.
First elected in 2016, Jason currently serves as a commissioner, representing District 8 on the Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners. He was elected Chair of the Board in 2019 and served as the county's first-ever LGBTQ chair. In addition to his leadership in Washtenaw County, Jason serves as a Northern Michigan University Trustee, as well as a service member of the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary.
Jason has served in various leadership positions in the community, including as Special Advisor to Congresswoman Haley Stevens, Constituent Services Director to Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, Transition Director to Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin, and District Director to Congresswoman Debbie Dingell. He previously worked as the Director of Government and Community Relations at Washtenaw Community College (WCC), where he is responsible for leading the College’s government and community outreach in coordination with local, state and federal officials, as well as civic leaders and community organizations.
Prior to joining WCC in 2013, he was an aide to Congressman John Dingell, working as the Congressman’s liaison to Washtenaw County and managing education-related casework for the Michigan's 12th district. Jason also served as an aide to Congressman Bart Stupak and Michigan Senate Minority Leader Michael Prusi.
Jason serves or has served on a number of county boards and committees including:
- Washtenaw County Urban County Executive Committee, Chair
- Washtenaw Area Transportation Authority, Treasurer
- Community Action Board, Chair (2013-2017)
- Criminal Justice Collaborative Council
- Homeland Security Task Force
- Environmental Council
- Brownfield Development Authority
- Statutory Drain Board
- Space Plan Committee
- Board of Public Works, Liaison
- Youth Commission, Liaison
- Emergency Medical Services Commission
- Economic Development Coordinating Committee
- Economic Development Corporation
Jason also serves or has served on a number of nonprofit and community boards, including:
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, Legislative Policy Platform Committee, Chair (2020)
- Democratic National Committee, Delegate (2020)
- Michigan Democratic Party State Central Committee (2018-present)
- Muscular Dystrophy Association, National Community Advisory Committee (2017-2020)
- Jim Toy Community Center, Public Policy, Chair (2012-2017)
- Washtenaw County Democratic Party, Executive Committee (2011-present)
- Ann Arbor Democratic Club, Executive Committee (2012-present)
- Washtenaw Health Initiative Planning Committee (2011-2013)
- Workforce Intelligence Network, Public Policy Committee (2013-2016)
- Region 9 Prosperity Initiative, Management Team (2014-2016)
- Eastern Michigan University LGBT Resource Center Advisory Committee (2013-2018)
- Ann Arbor Local Officers Compensation Commission (2014-2016)
- Muscular Dystrophy Association, Volunteer (2007-present)
Jason’s passion is serving the community, with a particular focus on addressing economic and social inequality, LGBTQ rights, transportation access, mental health, and criminal justice diversion.